- nutritional problems;
- connecting the printer to the computer;
- incompatibility with cartridges;
- failure in hardware settings;
- contamination of electrical contacts;
- driver crashes.
Why my printer is slow and how to fix it
First, let's clarify how slow the printer prints. The instruction manual contains information about the standard time to print a page. We take a watch and time the printing time. If the printer takes a long time to print, and the time is significantly different from the expected time, then the problem really does occur.
Power problemsFirst, let's check if everything is in order with the power supply. Perhaps this is the reason why the printer began to print slowly. The sequence is as follows:
- disconnect the device from the mains, unplug the cable from the power socket;
- remove all devices between the device and the outlet — surge protectors, carrying;
- plug the power cord back in and turn on the printing device;
- start printing a test page.
Connecting the Printer to a Computer Using a USB CableWe check the connection of the printing device to the computer:
Remove the USB cable from the computer and printer;
- check if dust is clogged there;
- clean the ends of the cable with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol;
- plug everything back in.
Ink cartridge problemsThe problem is relevant for inkjet operators. Users don't always pay attention to the manufacturer of the cartridge. More often they are guided by price rather than quality. You may have purchased third-party cartridges that don't fit. Move the cartridges to the replacement position and check the brand to match your printer. If they do not correspond, then they must be replaced, best of all with « relatives » .
Dirty electrical contactsThis item also applies to inkjet printers. We proceed as follows:
- we bring the printheads to the replacement position, turn off the device, carefully remove the heads;
- we clean the plastic ledges of the nozzles, the edges between the nozzles and the electrical contacts, the contacts themselves. We clean carefully with clean, lint-free cloths that have been moistened with distilled water. Cleaning should be carried out with clean lint-free napkins moistened with distilled water, moving from top to bottom;
- reinstall the cartridges;
- turn on the printer;
- print a test page.
Failure in hardware settings
Another possible reason — failure in the printer's hardware settings. Reset the hardware settings of the printing device to their default settings. Read the instruction manual before doing this.
This is where the prevention ends. If all else fails, then check the software — printer drivers and print settings.
Printer driver crashesWe download the driver from the manufacturer's website or take the disk that came with the printer. Launch the printer settings window from « Device Manager » , find the tab « Drivers » and reinstall the driver.
The last thing that can slow down printing — these are the printer settings. If the mode is set to high quality printing, the printer is noticeably slower. Check the options where the image resolution, color, quality is set. Set the default settings.
If all this prevention did not lead to a solution to the problem, then we contact the service center. Obviously, the problem is more serious.
Read: “Printer Prints Blank Sheets. What to do?"