Download MSI Afterburner and install it on your computer. You will also need the GPU-Z program and any benchmark - a program for testing the performance of a video card.
Regarding the dangerous overclocking method. It consists in flashing the BIOS of the video adapter. First, it is much more difficult. Secondly, the effect is the same, but the chance of messing up is much higher.
How to overclock NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards: 4 steps
Each video card - NVIDIA and AMD, doesn't matter - has its own overclocking limit. It is found empirically, gradually increasing the memory and core frequencies. To do this, the cycle of four stages is repeated several times:
- Apply changes.
- Check the operation of the card.
- Save changes with stable work.
How to Improve Graphics Card Performance: Overclocking in MSI Afterburner
Launch MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z. The second program is only needed to obtain information about the state of the video adapter during the overclocking process.
There are five sliders in the MSI Afterburner window. It is necessary to change the indicators of the four lower ones.
(Skip this step if your card does not have a connector to control the fan speed.)
Modify the cooler operation to improve the cooling efficiency of the GPU. To do this, enter the card settings menu, select the "Cooler" tab and activate the "Programmed user auto mode". While holding down the left mouse button, set the top point of the curve on the chart to the 100% position; 70 degrees.
Drag the slider to the far right.
Enter 100 in the window to the right of the slider, press Enter and Apply in the program window. Run the benchmark and see if there are any artifacts in the image - black rectangles, squares, fading and similar distortions.
If everything is ok, repeat the process until artifacts appear.
When artifacts appear, reduce the frequencies in the same way - but by 10 MHz. When you find the frequency of stable memory operation, subtract another 1 MHz from it.
Now test the card with "heavy" play for 1-1.5 hours. If it does not freeze and the picture is not distorted, go to step 4.
Increase the frequency in 50 Mhz steps, repeating all steps in step 3. Move back in 10 Mhz steps. Subtract another 5 Mhz from the frequency with stable operation.
Test with "heavy" play for 1-1.5 hours.
How to overclock a graphics card on a laptop
- Install MSI Afterburner.
- Unlock Core Clock and Memory Clock.
- Search Windows → type regedit → Enter → double click on regedit.exe. You will enter the registry editor.
- Select: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE → SYSTEM → ControlSet001 → Control → Class → 4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 → click on 0001 folder → press CTRL + F → enter enableulps → Find Next → double click on the EnableUlps button → enter 0 → OK.
- Repeat the search in this folder and enter the value 0 until you go through all the folders with EnableUlps in the name.
- Edit MSI Afterburner settings.
- Open the folder of the installed program → right-click on MSI Afterburner.cfg → Open with notepad → almost at the very bottom find the line UnofficialOverclockingMode → change the value to 1 → enter the text in the line above: I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it → save the document.
- Reboot your computer.
- Launch MSI Afterburner and increase the Core Clock and Memory Clock as described in the section above.
Note: "Why is the video card warming up?"
Watch the video on how to safely overclock your video card