Caffeine raises dopamine levels in the brain, which makes us feel more alert and more cheerful. Drinking coffee in moderation has a positive effect on the central nervous system: it improves mood, increases physical and mental activity.
Let's start with the divine scent. It is not for nothing that we like it so much: inhaling the aroma of coffee stimulates the production of pleasure hormones by the brain, from which the soul becomes cozy and warm. One minute next to the buzzing, puffing coffee machine - and life is getting better again.
But there is a more important reason for lovers of an invigorating drink to rejoice. Recent research has proven that in normal amounts, it is harmless and even beneficial. The main effect of coffee on the human body is due to caffeine. It used to be thought that caffeine is a stimulant, but it turned out that it only blocks the self-inhibiting reactions of the nervous system. Thanks to this, it does not allow the body to "fall asleep", relieving fatigue, improving clarity and speed of thinking. Also, caffeine dilates blood vessels and can help with headaches caused by their spasm.
Scientists at the University of Minnesota consider it dubious to classify coffee as a drug. They agree that some addiction to coffee does occur, but it is more related to the habit of good things. Likewise, lovers of pancakes with jam in the evenings will experience some discomfort if they slip fish for dinner. But they will not have "withdrawal": they will be upset, say a few bad words and do without pancakes.
Another prejudice speaks of the harmful effects of coffee on the heart. But it has been refuted many times. For example, Chinese scientists noted that coffee consumers develop heart rhythm disturbances 6% less often than those who do not drink coffee. The indicator is not impressive, of course, but not negative either, so you can calm your “fiery motor”.
Scientists have also unambiguously spoke about the effect of coffee on the liver. The systematic consumption of the drink significantly reduces the likelihood of liver cancer and even diabetes mellitus. Also, those who regularly drink coffee are less likely to develop prostate and breast cancer. So the rumors about its harm to health belong to folk fiction.
How harmful is coffee?
As much as you do not follow the measures in its use. When the body works at "high revs", it actively consumes energy, vitamins and minerals. Sooner or later, there comes a moment of exhaustion, from which our cells begin to work for themselves "at a loss." Caffeine nervousness and anxiety are manifested, headache and dizziness attacks occur.
Coffee has a beneficial effect on our state of mind when we are calm and have a reserve of energy after a good rest. But drinking coffee in an agitated state, with chronic fatigue, and even more so "eating a cigarette" - means letting the evil genie out of the bottle.
The most dangerous combination is coffee with alcohol. Caffeine makes it easier for alcohol to penetrate the brain, but for some time it helps to maintain clarity of thought. Therefore, coffee with cognac can provoke "sober intoxication": it seems that you can drink more, and meanwhile your legs are no longer holding. But the worst thing about this combination is that it provokes deadly cardiac arrhythmias.
The effect of coffee on pregnancy is also dose-dependent. If you exceed the daily intake of caffeine (200 mg), the risk of having a baby with a cleft lip and heart defect increases.
The aromatic drink stimulates the secretion of gastric juice, therefore, on an empty stomach, it can cause abdominal pain. Coffee is bad for the stomach for those with gastritis or ulcers. If you cannot completely give up your favorite elixir, drink weak coffee with milk.
How to choose coffee beans: which is better - Arabica or Robusta
Which variety is better
To choose good coffee beans, you need to know the characteristics of its types.
- Arabica has an unsurpassed soft aroma.
- Robusta contains more caffeine than Arabica, giving the drink a unique bitterness and a pungent aroma.
- Liberica has a pronounced bitter taste. It is not used in its "pure form", but mixtures using its grains are distinguished by their richness and depth of aroma.
A blend (mixture) of arabica and robusta gives the drink a special, incomparable taste, aroma and strength. When choosing a coffee, remember the types of beans from which it is created. Each variety and each blend has its own admirers, so it is impossible to say in advance which coffee you will like. Memorize and search - this is a truly exciting experience.
Coffee Roasting Methods
Gourmets know that the most delicious coffee is roasted less than a month ago. If the limitation period exceeds four months, the drink begins to lose its taste. There are four degrees of roasting of beans.
- Scandinavian (light roast). Roasted grains do not emit vegetable oil and become light brown in color. The drink has a sour taste and refined aroma. It goes well with milk and cream and invigorates well in the morning.
- Viennese (medium roast). Small amounts of vegetable oils are released from coffee beans. The beans take on a dark chocolate brown color. The taste of coffee is richer and slightly sweet.
- American style (medium roast). The grains are fried for a long time and intensively, preventing the release of oily substances. The drink has a good aroma and subtle bitterness.
- French (darker than medium roast). The grains are dark brown in color and give off a lot of oils. Coffee of this sort is velvety in appearance and has a bitterness, beloved by many.
- In Italian (dark roast). The grains are extremely dark brown in color and very oily. This is how the strongest and bitter espresso coffee is obtained. It is better not to drink such a drink in the afternoon.
- Continental roast... When deep roasted twice, the beans take on the color of dark chocolate. Suitable for making espresso.
Trust your nose to buy good quality coffee. Good coffee always smells good. If it smells weak or somehow tasteless (as if rancid), it means that it is stale and began to deteriorate.
Take a closer look at the grains. If they are oily and shiny, it is best to skip the purchase. Arabica beans, unlike other varieties, have a silver stripe in the center. In robusta, it is dark.
If you want to drink truly delicious and aromatic coffee, go to the electronic catalog of our store and choose the best varieties. We have a large selection and always quality goods. Do you have any questions? Call (044) 206 206 9. Our consultants will select the right drink for even the most fastidious customer.
Note: "How to choose a coffee machine"
Need to "grab" coffee urgently? This coffee machine will brew it in less than a minute.